Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Comment clash

I've been trying to become a more active participant in the enormous on-line foreign policy community on topics related to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I've done so by commenting on articles and blog posts for the past number of weeks. Some of these exchanges have been fruitful but most are largely exercises in futility. Most of these exchanges are less than civil but some have remained respectful. In both cases though, I've come to accept that the point is not to make friends. That there are many people who know very little despite proclaiming otherwise.
I should also say that I don't find engaging with people I fundamentally disagree with particularly fun. I'm doing it largely as a way for me to hone-in on the substance of my opponents largely illogical arguments. I'm finding it beneficial since so many common tropes - ones largely devoid of truth - keep reappearing.
There was one series of exchanges on The West Bank on Open Salon that I've let die (with my opponent having the last word) simply because it was a topic that I didn't want to pursue (what constitutes "anti-semitism"?). Instead, I will be posting a few exchanges here that I've had in other places in particular from Foreign Policy Magazine, where I'm a regular commenter. Here's a link for a current debate right now:

No comments: