Monday, July 17, 2006

Canadians killed in Lebanon


Last night, the news was delivered in a confusing manner to us here. Al-Jazeera, which we sometimes watch in rotation with CNN, BBC and al-Manar (The "Hezbollah" TV station) had reported that 8 Canadians have been killed. The Arabic channels deliver news to us on the conflict often a lot faster than the English language channels. So when we found out that these 8 Canadians had been killed we immediately entered into a discussion about what the response would be in Canada. Although I'm usually just as cynical as my compatriots here can be (and sometimes worse - we all come to our knowledge of this conflict in different ways) I was sure that in a country that reacts with every soldier's death in Afghanistan, or to 2 kidnapped Canadians in Iraq, with rapt attention, I thought this would be made into a big deal back home. I've learned this morning from CBC that it was a Canadian family from Montreal visiting relatives in the south of Lebanon who were killed when an Israeli bomb fell on their home. I'll quote from CBC...

> Ali el-Akhras, 36, was on vacation in the Lebanese village of Aitaroun, about 50 kilometres south of Beirut and not far from the Israeli border, with his wife Amira el-Akhras, 23, and their four children ages one, four, six and eight.

And then they report this...

> Harper, speaking at the close of the G8 summit in St. Petersburg, Russia, said he has no interest in criticizing Israel for defending itself. Harper said it is a challenge for Israel to fight a decentralized organization, such as Hezbollah, when its members are embedded within urban populations in Lebanon. "We continue to urge Israel and others to minimize civilian damage," he said at a news conference at the end of the summit. "We don't intend to single out Israel. We are not going into the temptation of some to single out Israel, which was the victim of the initial attack."

Israel has murdered four children aged 1, 4, 6 and 8.

I'll say it again.... 1, 4, 6, and 8. And Harper refuses to even CRITICIZE? He doesn't want to "single them out"?

So I'll return to the math... Two soldiers kidnapped. Israel bombards Lebanon. Hezbollah retaliates. Civilian deaths in Israel... less than 12. Civilian deaths in Lebanon... more than 200.

But lets not single Israel out.

And the vibe I'm now getting - which sadly proves my friends right - is that Canadians are by and large silent on this. FOUR CANADIAN CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 8!!!

I'm hoping that some of the people who read this blog will respond in the comments portion of this post to this question... What is the reaction in Canada right now? Judging by CBC's coverage on their website its strikingly minimal.

Which leads me to my deepest fear about all of this. That because these 8 Canadians had dark skin. Because the father's name was Ali. Because they were Arabs. Because they were visiting family in an area that has been presented as being infested with only missile-firing terrorists... they are somehow less worthy of an outcry. If I or my friends were to die here would our deaths be met with silence as well? If they had been white would there be a response from Harper? I know that the pervasive racism that exists in the supposedly utopian "multi-cultural" Canada is something we hate to admit, it exists and it's extensive. Please tell me that this is not the case.

What is happening back "home"?

5 comments:

M. said...

My far more patient friend H. here is telling me that this news story is getting a lot more play on CBC's French Radio station than the English counterpart.

Anonymous said...

We have heard the same as you and are shamed by the government's response if not surprised. Allegiance to the Bush agenda seems to be clearly the way this government plans to go.
A LOT more talk on CNN about US citizens trapped in Lebanon with personal stories etc. Perhaps we need more of this to lift the veils from McKay's eyes. Possibly (??) he has some self-respect left to stand up for Canadians above and beyond what his PM says.
Will be sending email messages to all of the above with concerns about this approach and would like to quote your last paragraph concerning the reaction to deaths of Canadians of colour. OK with you??

Everyone thinking about you ALL THE TIME!
Love, Auntie Pat

Anonymous said...

Some of us here at home are as outraged as you are at Harper's comments. Even if the children were not Canadian (and as the head of Canada he as PM has the duty to respond in a sympathic fashion to the family - but even if there were not Canadian children they are CHILDREN AND INNOCENT! I think that underneath the media coverage that many of of average people who have been somewhat to the left in politics and part of the "End Poverty Now" and peace activist are outraged by the PM. Racism? well lets look at the party he represents! the party that was voted in and holds only a minority. I have been travelling all day so haven't had a chance to see what the other parties are doing...will report back on that.

I guess that all i have to say about racism is that its out there, here in Canada too and we have to face it and talk about it and through dialogue change it. And if that means through political dialogue and elections then that too.

I appreciate your blog and look every day to see what's happening...as i read the media too..you give another view and help with the balancing.

take care, be proud of who you are as a Canadian even if you can't be proud of the prime minister.

louise

The Editor said...

Personally, I'm not certain that Canadian reaction to the deaths has been muted due to the skin colour of the victims.
My gut instinct is that reaction is muted due to a general uncertainty about the entire situation, and that there's a fear of commentary due to how complicated the middle east situation is.
It seems like the Canadian people are pretty concerned about the exit strategy for Canadians (currently) trapped in Lebanon, most of whom would be brown-skinned. I think that suggests an affinity and sympathy for these Canadians.
Most people I've talked to see the blame for the current escalation falling on all three countries, and most I've talked to are deeply distressed at Harper's lack of admonishment of Isreal for (what's seen as a) vast, out-of-scale reaction (which you've commented on). I think that, and the safety of the exiting Lebanese-Canadians, is where Canadian concern primarily is right now. And, of course, a hope of easing of tensions due to diplomatic pressure.
I will say though that I think there's a bewilderment in the Canadian public, who may not understand the ins and outs of one of the most complicated, contradictory and violent places on earth, and are therefore hesitant of stating definitively who they blame and who they support. There are a lot of gray areas in this conflict--seeing them is a Canadian trait--however, most commentary on the situation is slanted one way or the other which I think disagrees with the Canadian way.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to play devil's advocate, but as far as I learned, Harper made those comments BEFORE he had learned of the Canadian deaths in Lebanon. And I think he has stuck with the very "democratic" statement made by the G8 saying that Israel should basically tone it down. Here in Ontario, there is A LOT of "personal stories" and comments from people, and I haven't met a single soul who does not feel deep sorrow and worry for every single Canadian AND civilian in general who are caught in the middle of things. This news is very very big here, on ALL TV and radio stations, the minute it became known. I agree with the statement made that a lot of people are just really confused about who the bad guy is here. And I have to admit, before you were there M, I was too. I understand more now and think that if more people just took the time to "do the math" like you said, we'd all have more to say.

K